Tiger

Tiger

Saturday, August 23, 2014

My Guardian Angel

As I sit here thinking about my first REAL treatment that I will be receiving in the next few weeks, I find my mind taken over by the memory of my grandpa Bill. Maybe it’s because he received this treatment too, or maybe it’s a sign that I need to strive to be more like him. 

If you only ever know one thing about him, let it be this: he was one of the greatest men I have ever known.

Grandpa Bill’s sense of humor and laid-back attitude are two of the things I remember vividly about him.  He had such a dry sense of humor and almost every conversation ended with you trying to figure out if it was all some elaborate tale or not. I admire him for holding onto that during his entire fight.  I know how hard it is to keep smiling when the road of illness is so long and daunting. When I saw him just a few weeks before he passed, he had me in tears because I was laughing so hard.  I am so inspired by his positivity and how he kept that laughter in such trying times.
He was also incredibly strong. In his last few months, nurses and family would ask him “how are you doing?” and he always answered, “well, I think I’m doing okay.”  I’m not sure if he really thought that he was doing alright or if he just wanted to spare everyone the heartbreak of realizing that he wasn’t.  That, to me, not only represents his strength, but his kindness as well.

I miss him dearly but his journey has taught me so much. What more do you really need out of life other than a heart full of love, undying strength, and a wicked sense of humor?
I hope to be at least half the person he was someday.

 Rest in paradise grandpa.


No comments:

Post a Comment