Tiger

Tiger

Monday, June 9, 2014

I'm Done Fighting


I have decided not to fight anymore.


The moment I was diagnosed, I made the decision to fight. It was a great decision at the time and that positivity has gotten me much further than I ever believed possible.  I simply wasn't going to accept anything less than what I knew I deserved.  Today I came across the above article and it got me to thinking how utterly exhausting it has been to fight every second of every day.  It has been a continuous, bloody war against my selfish mind, failing body, unfortunate diagnosis, and all the arrogant doctors.  Reading this article I was both surprised and unnerved by my answers.  I have come so far in these past 20 months but I still have a long way to go.  I no longer want to be alive with gastroparesis and dysautonomia, I want to live with them. 

1. You’re Not Living with a Chronic Illness if You’re Hunting For the “Why” Full Time
I have struggled deeply with this.  Being labeled "idiopathic" is hard for anyone, much less me; a factually minded and medically obsessed “Curious George.” When I was first diagnosed I spent hours researching possible causes.  Here's what I have narrowed it down to: either this GP is from my terrible eating habits as a child, is genetic, is from a major head injury that occurred 7 years ago, or is post viral.  Here's the problem: none of these can be proven, so I am left to speculate.  As I have learned, all things get easier with time and this is no exception.  While every now and then I will come across something that sparks my interest and makes me think "hmm...maybe..?" I have backed off quite a bit and have learned how to accept and live with the unknown.

2. You Are Not Living with Chronic Illness If You’re Not Working
I honestly thought I'd never work a real job again.  When I was still feeding tube dependent, I was a nanny.  That was not a good time or a good job for me to be working as it required an insane amount energy.  My next nannying job was much more entertaining; I loved the kids and it made it so much easier to go to "work" every day knowing I  would get to hang out with my favorite munchkins.  However, kids take a lot out of you and I still did not have a lot to give.  As time has gone on, I have gotten stronger and am planning on yet another nannying job this summer.  When I am not working a scheduled time with the sweet Laura-Grace, I am helping out here and there at church for a few extra bucks.  The cash has been helpful for doctors and medications, but what working has really done for me is give me back a sense of pride; a sense of "I can do anything."

3. You’re Not Living with Chronic Illness if You’re Hating Yourself
I don't know if you could say I ever hated myself. I have hated my situation, I've hated my disease, my doctors, my life; but not myself. I think deep down I have always known that I did nothing to deserve this, and it isn't who I am; it is just something that has happened to me.

4. You’re Not Living with Chronic Illness if You’re “Fighting” It
Now here's where it gets tricky.  For the longest time I believed fighting was the way to go.  Fight to stay positive, fight to get better, fight to be happier; when in reality, fighting makes your sicker and sadder. I will say this: I fought like hell when I needed to.  When I was in desperate need of a little weight, I fought to gain it.  I fought for the attention of my doctors and for the right to be treated with respect.  I have also fought food every day. My mind wants this but my body knows that it is a bad idea.  I like how the author above compares chronic illness to a cancer fight.  Don't get me wrong, cancer is a truly horrible and ugly thing, but if you can fight, you may win.  If you fight chronic illness, you will not only lose the battle, you will lose yourself. It is insane to try to fight a battle that will never end. I am still working on this one but from this moment on, I plan to cope with and manage my disorders, not fight tooth and nail against them.

5. You’re Not Living with Chronic Illness if You Are Not Moving
Lastly, let’s talk about movement.  I have made some headway on this one. For one, I have physically started moving again.  While I am no where near where I used to be or where I want to be concerning my fitness level, I can now walk around the block, run a few slow miles, and lift weights.  This is huge progress compared to the one flight of stairs a day I could handle only a few months ago.  As for metaphorical moving, I have done a lot of that as well.  Most of my friends and family have seen and commented on my extreme spiritual and personal growth.  I have become a new person.  I see the world in a different way and the things that would have gotten under my skin two years ago, don’t hold a candle to the things that can bother me now.  It takes a lot to shake me.  I have become fiercely independent and have grown more in these last two years than anyone I have ever known.

No comments:

Post a Comment